ARIGS is one of the programs on the aerosol retention on the tubes surrounding the breach within the secondary side of the steam generator in the absence of water. Its development has been internationally framed within the EU-SGTR and the ARTIST programs.
Iodine is a fission product of major importance, because volatile species can be formed under severe nuclear reactor accident conditions, and may potentially be released into the environment, leading to significant radiological consequences.
This programme is dedicated to studying iodine chemistry under thermal non equilibrium (impact of chemical kinetics) in the primary cooling system in the event of a core meltdown accident in a water reactor.
The CHIP programme follows two axes which respectivly aims to:
Complex measurements were performed at the integral high temperature test facility CODEX (COre Degradation Experiment) between 1995-2002 with electrically heated UO2 fuel rod bundles. The test matrix included the first VVER-440 type integral severe accident experiment.
The main components of the facility are scaled about 1:18 linearly to a large European reactor: the containment pressure vessel (volume 14 m³), the RPV-RCS pressure vessel (0.08 m³), the cavity, the subcompartment, and the steam accumulator (0.08 m³).
The ECO facility, housed inside the large FAUNA steel vessel, was designed for investigating energy conversion ratios up to 20 %, related to 10 kg of melt. In principle, it consists of a piston/ cylinder system having 4 m in the total height.
This emission has an impact on the iodine chemistry (AgI) and on the behavior of aerosols in the reactor primary circuit and in the containment. The presence of control rod material influences the source term potentially present in a PWR containment and likely to in the atmosphere.
- Treaty establishing the European Atomic Energy Community: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/collection/eu-law/treaties-force.html
- Nuclear Energy Research: http://ec.europa.eu/research/energy/euratom/index_en.cfm
- Horizon 2020: http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/h2020-section/euratom
- JRC Science Hub: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/science-area/nuclear-safety-and-security
- ClearingHouse on Operating Experience Feedback : https://clearinghouse-oef.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
- TACIS INSC PHARE IPA Nuclear Safety: http://nuclear.jrc.ec.europa.eu/tipins/
- Fusion For Energy: http://fusionforenergy.europa.eu/
- Euratom Supply Agency: http://ec.europa.eu/euratom/
- Nugenia: http://www.nugenia.org/
The Institute for Nuclear Research Pitesti (ICN) has as main activity objective the scientific research, the fundamental and applied technological development, the exploitation of its own research through technology transfer, design, investments, consultancy, expertise and technical specialized a